One day I get this email asking if I would want to help volunteer for this thing called HelpPortrait. Basically on December 12th (all over the world), it's to donate your time and talent and photograph somebody. In this case, this awesome photographer, Sarah of Photo de Novo, organized a whole thing at a local coffee shop/church/non-profit venue- Everyday Joe's. She gathered a dozen photographers or so and several other volunteers, and then got the word out to various organizations of families who might benefit from professional photoshoots, of whom probably couldn't afford it otherwise. There were about 5 or 6 stations accomidating about 6 families every hour from 8-5..... full studio equipment and all. I was paired up with another incredible photographer, Josh Barrett of Ignite Images. Some of us hobbiest photographers (like mwa) who had little to no studio experience were geniously paired with professionals... and I learned a bunch!! Josh was great with people and was patient with teaching me the ropes. He also kept encouraging me to take my turn on the families coming through, but I was too chicken and rather prefered assisting him, observing, and learning. I did help with posing ideas when I had them and he claims that helped. And then finally, with a shove of encouragement, I photographed one family.
(with respect to the family's privacy, I won't be posting the results)




No comments:
Post a Comment