Experiencing Italy has been something I've really wanted to do for many years now. Originally I wanted to go before I ever had kids. Well, since that didn't happen, I decided this was the year I was going and no one was going to stop me. The plan was one week both Cameron and myself, the second week on my own. The adventure-for-one has been in my system for awhile. Preferably it would have been for longer, but the two weeks was the most I could get away with, so I was going to take it. If I had my way, I'd still be there. But life calls.
Anyway.... Here are the first couple days:
We landed in Rome early Saturday morning. Caught the train from the airport to the Termini in downtown Rome. We preceded to catch the first train to Naples, then another train to Sorrento where we were staying for the night. But between Naples and Sorrento was our detoured stop in Pompeii-Mt. Versuvius. Lets just say, this was going to be our first mistake!
Pompeii was interesting and definately worth a visit, BUT.... not after traveling on planes and trains for 24 hours, and arriving unprepared. Meaning, we were the only idiots who didn't have a map or water, or fully understand the enormity of the place. Imagine how big you think this city could be, and then quadruple it. Now throw in the summer heat, a few dozen very large tourist groups around every corner, what feels like a human "rat maze" after awhile, pure exhaustion, pure thirst, and then the S-L--O---W--E-------S----------T and HOTTEST train ride to our original destination- Sorrento. That was how our first day went. Not quite how I imagined it.
It wasn't the most ideal place to complain about anything, to be honest.... considering the history of Pompeii and its sudden destruction by the unforgiving volcano, Mt. Versuvius.
********
Upon arriving in Sorrento, we found our hotel, found some food (cuz boy was I crabby from hunger), and then immediately crashed for the next 11 hours.....regardless of the stiffest bed known to mankind. I promise I won't always be so negative, we just got started off on the wrong foot.
We woke up Sunday morning super excited to rent a scooter (as planned) and go cruise down the Amalfi Coast and back, only to find out that because it was Sunday, the rental place would close at 1 pm. This would only have given us minimal riding time, and most likely not enough time to get back. We opted to just buy a bus ticket and cruise that way. I was not very excited about this. Poor Cameron had to continue dealing with my crabbiness. We were stuck behind the smelliest couple and with a lousy view. By the time we got to Positano, I couldn't handle it anymore, so not knowing what I was doing or what the plan would be, we got off and the bus continued on without us. Bare with me a little longer.... I threw a little fit, sat in my corner, "cooled off" (meanwhile, it is still hot and we have heavy backpacks that we couldn't figure out what to do with). After I gather myself together, we find a local bus to the bottom of the town (which would have been a lengthy hike, otherwise). Finally, hope is in sight. We find the beach and a place to eat in some shade. The awesome waiter offered to keep our backpacks for the day. It was risky considering they were just put behind the door, but I was bound and ready to finally start enjoying my vacation (without them). Here is where the awesomeness begins. Cameron had spotted a small little scooter rental place in Positano!!!! We had 3 hours to enjoy before we needed to be back to catch a boat to Naples. We learned that this was plenty enough time. We snatched it up, strapped on our goofy helmets, and took off down the Amalfi Coast. Cameron was thrilled to have an excuse to drive like the locals. He almost had my feet scraped off once when he was squeezing by some traffic and a huge tour bus a little too fast (the kind we were on earlier- Ha ha!). But my awesome Birkenstocks took the beating instead. I didn't care. I was finally having some fun. I sat back and took lots of pictures....
Beautiful Postitano!
There were a few towns along the way... I believe this was the town of Amalfi. Or maybe it's Salerno. I'm not sure. They were all one and the same really. I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet the streets were thru most of the ride. I was expecting lots of traffic. Most of the time, it was just the open road for us. It was incredibly beautiful and peaceful. Cameron was absolutely loving it, of course.


We dropped off the scooter, super pleased, and enjoyed the next hour exploring Positano. We ate our first gelato, picked up my bag, and hung out on the beach watching the locals while waiting for our boat ride.






The boat trip to Naples was also amazing!!! Perfect sunny breeze, the open air on the top deck, and gorgeous scenery. It was about 1 hour and 45 minutes to Naples. It went by too fast.
This was Naples as we were pulling into the docking area.... We never really saw it the first time, as we were just passing thru. Enormous doesn't even begin to describe the city. What you see is a mere fragment.


And of course, since we were finally enjoying our trip, little did we know that we were headed for more "adventure"..... THAT story coming soon..... it's a good one, so stay tuned.




















3 comments:
I'm tuned in.... can't wait to hear more and see more!! I'm experiencing what I will simply call "peaceful jealousy". I so fiercely want to see what you saw with my very own eyes. I've always been enamored with Italy, in fact, in 2006 I began planning a trip. I wanted to spend my 30th birthday there (which was THIS year). It didn't happen, but it will. Maybe we'll go together. :-)
amazing pics. great journalling... looking forward to the rest!
love the first pic you just added!
Post a Comment