Monday, September 14, 2009

ITALY: Day 10 Firenze

I alotted one day/one night for Florence because I really wanted to see it and I couldn't decide on what to cut if I wanted more time. I figured it was doable. Unfortunately, the best day to plan for Florence (to make all my other days fit the itenary) ended up being a Monday. The reason for the misfortune is because the two biggest things to see (The David @ The Accademia and The Uffizi Gallery) are closed on Mondays. At first I was bummed, but it ended up working out.
The Heart of the City
By the time I got to Florence on the rainy early afternoon, I was just tired and not even down for touristy things. I ended up just walking around the city the rest of the day, soaking it in, taking pictures, and meandering. It was perfect. I saw exactly what I wanted to see... the city itself.
Ponte Vecchio River View
Boat under Ponte Vecchio(L)
Shutters
This was a cool trend I noticed in both Florence and Rome.... Locks.
On most of them are written names, or lovers, in permenant marker or just etched. I guess it represents these peoples' love locked together forever.
No Keys to Their Hearts
This is just one of many beautiful statues lingering outside and around the Uffizi Courtyard. You see... who needs to go inside?! Just kidding... hopefully one day I can make it there.
One of Many Statues(L)
My favorite of the whole city was the Duomo, also called the Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore. And the reason for it, is because it was the first time I could remember having my breathe taken away at first glance of arcitectual history. These pictures really don't do it justice. And I couldn't really squeeze in both the size and the detail.
The Duomo
But it was awesome..... I turned the corner and bam! I wasn't even looking for it. I just happened upon it while aimlessly walking the streets. It was incredible!!! The thing I like most about it was the unique and characteristic colors. An unthinkable pastel-ish green, pink and white.
The Duome Close Up
I lingered around here for awhile and eventually went inside. I tried to go to the top of the Duomo, and even saw people up there, but I couldn't figure out how to find the entrance, even upon asking. It was enormous and walking all the way around it was time consuming. I gave up and continued strolling ever so slowly.
Smoke Break
The character above is prominent figure in the streets of Florence. They have a name, but for the life of me, I can't remember. They basically get up in people's faces, obnoxiously making smooching noices and trying to give (or sell) them roses. It was funny to watch people politely trying to ignore them. I thought the sight of one taking a smoke break like a normal human was even funnier. So I took a picture of it.
Baptistry Doors(s) Candle-lit(s)
Inside the Duomo
After the Duomo, I continued to explore, and happened upon some live jazz music in the archways or an enormous open square. Definately my kind of ambiance to a mellow-overcast-no-plan-or-direction-kinda-day.
Setting the Mood_bw
The day was nearing it's end and I decided to head back to my hotel to freshen up and make my way back out for dinner, or more exploring, or people meeting, or whatever. No plan. Just going with it. Well, I went back up to my room, rested for a bit, grabbed my sweater and heading back out for food. As I was leaving, and don’t ask me how, but a short farewell greeting to the night shift receptionist turned into a long conversation in the small hotel lobby... before I knew it, it was time for bed and I completely forgot to eat dinner. His name was Marco and he was freakin STRAIGHT OUT of Boulder, except pure bred Italian haha..... with a full head of long dreads. Definitely something you almost never see in Italy. I tried explaining to him that where I come from, he would fit in very well. I think he thought I was making fun of him and calling him weird. His English was fairly good and by the end of the night, I was his official English teacher. I also tried practicing my Italian, but I wasn't as good at it, as he was his English. Trying to translate and understand each other was like playing a word game. It was fun. Anywho...It was a total fluke where-did-the-time-go?- moment that resulted in great conversation (especially given the language barrier). He's super genuine and we are still occassional chit chat friends (he practices his english and I correct him hahaha).
This is why it's great to have no plan sometimes. You meet or happen upon something you normally wouldn't expect or find, simply by avoiding a detailed itenary and just embracing the flow.
The Other David_bw(L)
The next morning, I trekked over to the Hertz car rental place and picked up my little Fiat. The plan was to drive up to the top of Piazza Michealangelo (since I didn't make it the day before), check out the incredible view of Florence and continue on my way to Sienna. The Michealangelo statue at the top of the hill is a replica of the one at the Accademia.... a wee bit weather worn though.... and greenish.
Not a Green Screen
The view was incredible and I was thrilled it wasn't raining either. I was getting tired of it, especially with limited clothing selection from packing light.
Ponte Vecchio
This is the famous Ponte Vecchio bridge over the Arno River. Why it's famous or well-known, I have no idea. But it did end up being the focal point of a lot of my pictures haha.
Artists Over Florence 1
I loved these artists at the top of the hill, drawing the Firenze landscape.
Honing the Craft_bwa
Well, after a quick and pleasant trip to the top of the hill (awesome by car!!! and quick), I continued my adventure southbound to Sienna.... just followed the signs....

2 comments:

Tim and Amy said...

love it. florence was definitely awesome... and i agree the duomo was outstanding and breath taking. you should definitely be glad you drove up to the top. we were exhausted by the time we made it up that hill!

Candace said...

these might be some of my favorites of your pictures